Sunday 3 April 2016

March Wrap up

Another wrap up here, but this time I choose to just include one month instead of two as hopefully that will motivate me to get more reading done in order for this list to be a little longer for April!  Overall, March wasn't the best reading month for me, but in it I did read one of my favourites of the year so far, so I'm okay with not loving the other two!  And so, here are all the books I managed to read in March - enjoy!



To start the month, I chose to pick up Illuminae, as I had been anticipating reading this one ever since getting it.  I had heard such positive things about it that I was both excited and scared, as I really wanted to love it but was scared that I wouldn't because of all the hype.  However, it certainly didn't disappoint as I ended up giving it 5 out of 5 stars, making it my favourite and highest-rated book of the month.  I loved the format and the characters, and I can't tell you how excited I am to get my hands on the sequel, Gemina, as soon as it comes out!



After a great start to my month of reading, I then decided to give this one a go next.  I have to admit, I was a little sceptical before reading this as I had heard nothing about it and so all I had to go on was the synopsis, something that doesn't happen too often now.  Unfortunately, I really didn't enjoy this book, and so ended up giving it a measly 2.5 out of 5 stars, which may even have been a little generous looking back.  I just found the plot to be very repetitive and predictable and the characters to be extremely annoying and unrealistic.  It's safe to say this definitely wasn't a book for me.

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins -
Next, I picked up this adult thriller as not only do I want to read more adult fiction, but I also had heard quite mixed things from friends and family, with some loving it and some really not.  I also found out that it was being adapted into a movie later on in the year, and so I was determined to read it before then.  However, I once again found myself disappointed by this one, and so it only got a 3 stars from me.  Although I could see why some people may love this one, I personally found it quite predictable and easy to guess (but yes, I am proud I managed to guess who it was) and I honestly couldn't sympathise or connect with many of the characters at all.  Nonetheless, I am still curious as to how the movie pans out as I do think this may work better in film than it does as a book.


Finally, I am not going to include it in this wrap up as I am still reading it, but I am currently halfway through City of Lost Souls, the fifth and penultimate book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.  All I will say for now, is so far so good - more when I finish it!

What books did you read in March?  Have you read any of these - what did you think?  What books are you planning to read in April?

No comments:

Post a Comment