Thursday 21 May 2015

Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld

Review


After first reading the blurb of this book late last year, I have been anxiously waiting for the day when I would finally allow myself to read it rather than reading those books which have been on my shelf just a little too long.  The entire concept of two stories in one, especially with the major connection between the two just drew me in almost instantly, as I was not only interested Lizzie's story, but in Darcy's as well.  But after being so excited to read this, I was so worried that I would be let down tremendously,

However, this was definitely not the case.


Even after simply reading the first page, I felt as though I was hooked, with both of the first opening chapters short length but large impact drawing me and making it almost impossible for me not to read on.  I have to admit that as I got further and further through the book, my progression and speed in reading it did slow, the entire book taking me just over two weeks to read in total.  But for the length of it, I still believe this to not be too bad at all (for me personally).  I found the characters, especially the likes of Darcy, Mindy and Imogen, to be very intriguing, and I liked how Darcy still felt like a teenager, and didn't just mature because of her situation.  I also liked the sub-plot given to us in the form of Imogen, and I really enjoyed watching her story unravel just as Darcy did as well.

Despite being intrigued by both stories, I have to admit that I was more excited for, and did end up enjoying Darcy's story just slightly more than Lizzie's.  I found hers more relatable (obviously!) but I also founds hers to just generally be more interesting.  Saying this, I did however begin to to prefer Lizzie's towards the end of the book, with a plot twist and overall exciting ending given to her story. I think I just generally loved the connection they had, such as when a mention was made about the ending of Lizzie's story in Darcy's.


However, despite my almost glowing review so far, I did have a few bug bears about it, such as the lack of supporting characters.  Both of the stories focused mainly on the lead characters, Lizzie and Darcy, with very few other characters, other than those very close to them, had a large role in the story.  And even those who did play a part in the plot were almost always in the background, with only a small number of scenes even referencing to them.  Another aspect I disliked was the predictability of Lizzie's story.  I understand that it is meant to be a representation of what Darcy, a teenage girl, would have written, but I still feel as though the story, particularly the romance, could have been more original and more entertaining.  I even found myself bored to death of Yamaraj by the end of the book! 

But, all in all, I think it's all pretty clear about what my views on this are - mostly all good!  I would definitely recommend this one to anyone, but particularly those interested in writing.


Quotes:

"The real world worked differently than stories.  In a novel you always knew the moment when something Happened, when someone Changed.  But real life was full of gradual, continuous transformation.  It was full of accidents and undefinables, and things that just happened on their own.  The only certainty was "It's complicated"." 
"...he said that ghosts are just stories that tell themselves." 
"So are the living."
"Maybe that's the price of loving someone: you lost your grasp of where they ended and you began." 

Songs: 

Underdog - Imagine Dragons 
On A Lonely Night - A Rocket to the Moon 
Glory and Gore - Lorde

Other Books: 

Unfortunately, I couldn't think of any other books to suggest here, so I figured than rather recommending a book with very little in common with Afterworlds, I would just leave it.  Sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment